1. The name of your blog, “Embrace the Struggle,” is more than just the name of a blog; it’s a call to action. What conscious decisions do you make and things do you do to truly embrace your struggles?
I follow my tagline: ”Pray. Wage War. Pray Again!
But seriously, I choose to recognize that I am not in control of everything. Heck, I’m not in control of anything! God is. I choose to not stress over the potholes of life. To let go of what’s not working for me. To try new stuff, even if I’m quaking in my flip-flops as I do it. To not have to know all the answers.
2. If you could do anything and know that you would not fail, what would you do?
I’d give up my current job right now and begin certification to become a health coach.
3. How would those closest to you describe your personality?
I think this question stumped me the most, so I went to an expert: my mom. She said I was an introvert (like my dad), extremely loyal to friends, generous, caring, and serious at times. I concur!
4. If during an interview a celebrity announced that he/she reads your blog, which celebrity(ies) would you want it to be?
Here’s my dream team of celebrity subscribers to Embrace the Struggle: Phylicia Rashad. Jane Fonda. Alfre Woodard. Viola Davis. Tyler Perry. Anita Baker. Lecrae. Lolo Jones. Carrie Underwood. Chrisette Michele.
5. Oprah, Diane Sawyer, Anderson Cooper, Piers Morgan, Wendy Williams, or Barbara Walters – who would you prefer to be interviewed by?
Oprah, hands down. We could have a Soul Series interview and have “Aha” moment after “Aha” moment.
6. I remember reading that you are “aiming to flesh out” your emergency fund. What financial tips/advice have you learned?
Today, I learned that it’s okay to be fairly flexible about the amount in the emergency fund, but to have a base line of three months worth of expenses covered. Dave Ramsey recommends a $1000 emergency fund as a baby step before moving up to covering three to six months of expenses. Suze Orman has said that you should have up to eight or nine months of expenses covered. I’m gonna creep before I walk!
7. If you had to have a themed birthday party, what theme would it be?
I’d like a retro theme, like all 1980s outfits and hairdos and makeup. I love the ’80s!
8. Which of your “bloggy friends” do you think you’d most likely be “friends” with if given the opportunity to meet?
Oh Lord, you’re gonna separate me from my peeps! I can’t go naming names and leaving others out! But *whispers* it probably would be Ms. Hope.
9. When was the last time you laughed one of those non-stop, tears- flowing-down-your-face laughs, and what made it so funny?
Last week Monday I read this spoof titled “If Congress got stuff done like roommates.“ Warning: the language gets salty at times, but this is hella funny! I love the ingenuity of crafting an email thread involving all the main characters in the government shutdown, but couched in the language of college kids.
10. What are your favorite “throwback” television shows?
All of my favorites are on my Pinterest board, but my top five would be Wiseguy, Golden Girls, Martin, Quantum Leap, and Designing Women.